SOMETIMES OFTENTIMES slow at my house.
But I am delighted to announce that the cardboard “curtains” in the master bedroom were replaced this week by Bali room darkening pleated shades. Yes. Hallelujah.
For only two years, I’ve routinely covered the windows with cardboard rectangles each evening and then removed the coverings in the morning. No more. Hello, permanent shades drawn open and closed with cords.
Why did it take so long to purchase window treatments for the new windows installed in 2011? The answer would be cost and window size. The two windows are wide, but short. Although I’m not crazy about their shape, the design was really the best option for the master bedroom considering its street-side location along a street and sidewalk heavy with traffic.
Because of the light pollution that pours into the bedroom from a corner street light and from vehicle headlights and flashing lights of emergency vehicles, room darkening window treatments were a must.
Room darkening plus odd size necessitated special order window treatments, pushing the cost beyond budget.
Many times my husband and I have searched for workable options.
Once I even chatted with my quilter friend Doreen, who gave me great step-by-step instructions on how to create window coverings. I never followed up; I didn’t feel confident enough.
So it’s not like I’ve been sitting idle, content with cardboard.
Finally, I think my husband had had enough and so had I, frankly. The joke between us was that soon we’d need new cardboard curtains. Once or twice the cardboard rectangles even fell on my head in the middle of the night.
Yes, definitely time for a change.
On a recent stop at a Big Box retailer, we once again checked out the shades, settling on lovely bamboo Roman shades in our price range. But they needed to be custom ordered to size, plus room darkening liners and fabric edging added. With the extras, the cost for two shades edged over $500. Not gonna happen. I refuse to spend that absurd amount for two bedroom windows.
Back to square one. With the help of the in-store consultant, we eventually found room darkening pleated shades to custom-order for $142. That’s total cost for two, including all that tax. Sold.
Now on to the next project—filling the hole and replacing the cardboard wall in my dining room where, three years ago, we removed a brick chimney. But this project will be way more challenging and costly as I need a complete kitchen/dining room redo with new countertops, backsplash, cupboards, sink and flooring.
If only I could win a kitchen make-over. Yes, that’s it.
I welcome any and all ideas on how to fill the chimney space and how to redo my kitchen/dining area in an economical way. I could show you more photos…
© Copyright 2013 Audrey Kletscher Helbling