I created this Thanksgiving centerpiece using a vintage tray, vintage candles, pinecones from friends, shells from Detroit Lake and letters from my 1970s Scrabble game.
FOR WHAT ARE YOU thankful?
The standard answers are often family, health, house…
But what if you think deeper than that to the specifics. I decided to do that. Here’s a partial, quick list of that for which I am thankful in the first 11 months of 2018:
- A new baby on the way with our second grandchild (a boy) due in less than two months.
- Skilled medical professionals who cared for me, encouraged me and helped me recover after surgery on a broken wrist.
- A husband who exuded absolute calm even when I semi screamed at him to drive faster to the hospital emergency room.
- A son and his girlfriend who baked and mailed chocolate chunk cookies from Boston as I recovered from wrist surgery and again in celebration of my birthday.
- Minimal damage on and to our property following severe storms and tornadoes that swept across Minnesota on September 20. I am especially grateful for significant advance warning.
- An extended family that still gathers in my hometown each July for an annual reunion that includes aunts, uncles, cousins and their families.
- The opportunity to blog regularly for Warner Press, a Christian publishing company in Anderson, Indiana.
- Friends who support, pray for and encourage me, as well as make me laugh and wrap me in their love.
- My 2 ½-year-old granddaughter. No other words needed.
- Several days away at a northwestern Minnesota lakeside condo, thanks to the generosity of friends who couldn’t use their entire timeshare week. This was a first for Randy and me and exactly what we needed.
Sometimes all I really need, though, is to pause for a moment and consider my blessings. Of which there are many.
TELL ME: What are you especially thankful for this Thanksgiving?
© Copyright 2018 Audrey Kletscher Helbling